There is nothing on earth that is more precious than a newborn baby. Newborn photography is same precious, unique and fleeting as the first few days of your baby’s life are. When my son was born, I don’t think I ever looked away from him for at least a week, He was not only the most beautiful creature I’ve ever seen, but he almost seemed to change and grow right before my eyes. I took countless photographs in a desperate attempt to capture this tiny, peaceful stage forever. Now, 10 years later, I cherish every image of his first days because I know he will never be that small again.
My passion for newborn photography goes way beyond traditional newborn photos it stems from a desire to provide every new parent with the opportunity to document their newborn’s first few days as well as turning images of their precious baby into fine art.
“When should I schedule my newborn session?”
To insure the sleepy, curly, newborn poses I advise scheduling a newborn session within 10 days after delivery.
“How long will my newborn photography session take?”
Newborn photography sessions take at least 2 hours and, depending on the baby’s disposition, may take up to 3.5 hours. Multiple newborns may take even longer. Please reserve this time for your photography session.
“How do I prepare for my newborn photography session?”
Newborn photography requires a good amount of planning and an insane amount of patience. My goal is to recreate a womb-like environment for your newborn. With any newborn baby, there are a set of rules and guidelines I require with all my sessions.
I prefer to have a session at my home based studio.
1) Make sure to have everything for your newborn baby when you arrive –extra formula if you need it, diapers, pacifier and favorite blanket. Many images I take require your baby to be in a deep slumber.
2) Please dress in simple black, long sleeves preferable, be picture ready (Mom can put even more makeup as usual), please trim your nails as I will photograph your hands on a baby my goal is to capture sweet moments with Mom, Dad and other siblings.
1) I’ll have session starting with family pictures on simple black or white background.. I’ll also be working on ‘baby magic’ shots. I’m always creating a vast variety of images, poses and looks. I will be showing simple yet timeless baby on fabric while moving to a full setup using artistic, themed props. From each session you will have 5 different setups and color themes. I love creating unique and personalized images!
“What do I wear to my family photography session?”
This question is probably the most popular of all family session inquiries. Sorry, there really is no right answer. It really depends on the type of photography session you’re envisioning and the personality of your family. Here are a few helpful hints:
1) Search around for a cute outfit and base the rest of your family’s clothing colors around that one cute ensemble.
2) Choose two complimentary colors and purchase your family’s clothes with similar hues.
3) Take into consideration your home decor. You’re going to be having those beautiful family photographs displayed in your house. Try to keep the color scheme the same in your family’s clothing choice
“I’m worried the kids aren’t going to be able to stand still long enough for family photographs.”
If this is you, then you’ve come to the right photographer. I specialize in kids being kids. Children usually behave best at the beginning of the photography session; while I’m still “that weird stranger with the camera”. Once they warm up to me and their surroundings, that’s when their attention spans diminish. For this reason, I usually try to get all the “sit still and smile” poses out of the way. Once their done with that, we move on to a more lifestyle photography style which allows for natural interaction between family members; you know, the candid pictures that emanate your family’s personality.
I also suggest you come to your family photography session prepared for an activity. Bring a large quilt and some snacks for a picnic, set up a tea party, bring bubbles and wands, play some classic lawn games such as croquet or bocce ball, fly a kite, or bring some sidewalk chalk and let the kids loose. This will not only give the kids a chance to focus their energy and loosen the older ones up in front of the camera, but will also provide fun, natural poses that come together to tell a story.
“How long will our family photography session take?”
I allow as much time as possible to photograph the best pictures for your family session. On average, a family of 3-5 people will last 1-2 hours. Larger families require a little more time. I limit my scheduled sessions to 2 per week. This gives you my undivided attention not only during your photography session day, but also during post processing and ordering. As a result, you will never feel rushed during your family photography session or after.